FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Presence on FT
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2014, 9:14 am
ACB777

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
First, I'm sorry you had to go through an experience like that. It's not our intention for our best customers to have experiences like that when travelling. While in this case you were certainly in the right to bring in the cavalry (and again I'm sorry it had to come to that), imagine a situation where that might not be the case. If you had indeed not been at the top of the list for whatever reason, you would have gone through the whole charade for naught. You know the basics of how the system works, so you felt confident enough to challenge the GA and bring in the Concierge agent. But what if you didn't know how the system worked? What if we published the system and you misinterpreted? What if it changed? Again, in your case, as an SE on a high fare, you're right in that you hold a very good chance getting your upgrade, but if the system becomes published there are those who may not be as intuitive as you and misinterpret the rules, such that they would be raising alarm bells for no reason whatsoever, ultimately just causing a harried GA and potentially a delayed departure.
First, thanks for your participation here.

Re: upgrade priority publication, I just don't buy the business risk argument, particularly when your bigger cousins are transparent and seem to be doing just fine: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx Publishing the priority in this way makes everyone - both employees and customers - far more comfortable in these instances. People expect policies to change with time, but always knowing where you stand at any one time is what's more important.

FWIW, I have not flown international on AC in some time now, in part because of frustrations with the nebulous nature of the upgrade scheme. Instead I book on other carriers (usually a Z fare equivalent). This is from a now 5 year SE who previously never would have dreamed of being on anything other than AC metal, and who would have paid a substantial premium to do so.