FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do when having an incident with a rental car
Old May 12, 2014, 3:47 pm
sz2628

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LeonS

Every time I rent, I always refuse the CDW offered by Enterprise (my United MileagePlus Visa covers it), but I always take liability.

1) So here goes my first question: is the above a wise choice, or am I under/over-insured?

2) What would be the right procedure to follow if I ever had an accident? Are there any differences in the procedure when I hit something/someone (and hence would be making use of Enterprise's liability insurance) Vs when someone else hits me (I would be using my Visa's CDW)?

3) What about the procedure to follow when I get a flat / dead engine, or something similar? Who do I contact, and what am I covered for?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Leon
Welcome to FT LeonS!

1) You can never be over insured.

2) You would work through enterprises claims to get them to cover the 3rd party items. If it was related to the car you were driving you would call up your credit card and start a claim.

3) A a mechanical issues would most likely be Enterprises fault and they would send you a replacement. A flat tire you would call up your credit card and start a claim.