FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MS coping strategies / DB Cooper & The Money That He Took
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:42 pm
aeneas3

Originally Posted by Andy2
It is difficult to find the time and energy to get to various drugstores, grocery stores and WalMart every day to get in enough manufactured spend to generate enough cash (or equivalent miles/points) to achieve desired goals. I just wonder what motivational techniques people use to keep them going. Personally, I think of how much easier we have it to get some extra cash/miles/points than the original frequent flyer who pursued a "cash-back" opportunity during an actual flight, the incomparable DB Cooper. He would probably be incredulous at how easy it is to get a little cash in this electronic, business world. I can hardly complain about taking a few blocks of detour when all I have to do is have an AMEX Blue, some gift cards, and some money orders to make a cash profit in comparison to having to jump out of an airplane, probably to my death, like old DB. Sure he had more confidence and style than I will ever have, but hey that's life. What does everyone else think about while MSing for motivation?
I love the analogy and reference.

Apart from that, I think for me it has turned into a hobby. It is easy for me where I live to hit up a rite aid and walmart (no more cvs) on my way home from work while also picking up some groceries, etc. That being said, the loss of vrs at cvs has added travel for me. Nothing compared to hitting up a cvs and then feeding the birds from home. That being said, the hobby and promises of flying first class to the maldives is what keeps me going. Don't get me wrong, having the kids in Hawai'i with us earlier this month was fun but vacation in paradise without them will have its benefits too.
I also look at a lot of this as maximizing my return on my regular spending as well. The biggest motivator to get into this game initially was maximizing my category spending...boy has that exploded.