FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aereo's Fight for Life in US Supreme Court
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:50 am
Craig6z
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I personally feel that charging people for content should generally result in renumeration for those content providers, but given the unique business model and regulatory status of broadcast TV networks, a case could also be made for Aereo's position. My gut tells me the networks will prevail.

My ideal resolution would be a rethink of Aereo's model with rebroadcast fees included, and an expansion of their channel lineup along with a commensurate yet reasonable fee increase. If the available content could be available on an a la carte basis, all the better.
I agree with you opinions, but do not believe the networks are ready to participate in this model. It would essentially be condoning of an ala carte cable pricing model, which nobody but consumers want. The plaintiffs - people like the Disney cartel (ABC, ESPN, etc.) have much to lose, due to investment in many off the air channels.