FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:03 pm
PaulInTheSky

Originally Posted by ordbkk
Whether this is a bug, or a security gap allowing malicious action, United is partially responsible. And when a plane has mechanical issues, they must place me on the next available flight, whether that flight is United or not. Even if United has to pay for it. Why should this be any different? Why should award availability be necessary to make this right?
As this has become a security issue, I am not sure if DOT would be involved in this. One easy way to track down the cancellation is by IP address, but that can easily be done through a proxy server from the fraud department.

OP, did you check the specific AC flight that you had confirmed on? Wasn't sure if you knew the loads, but you might be able to see how well the J/F cabin was sold from EF. My guess would be that since some agencies know they could cancel any tickets on UA.com, then they could easily manipulate the inventory by intentionally cancelling the ticket and selling the seat to their customers. It is also possible that they have access to the award inventory of any Chinese carriers. I feel so glad that I didn't face such terrible experience before.