FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Five full days in Iquitos in May...recommendations?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:14 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Five full days in Iquitos in May...recommendations?

OK, so it's my third trip to Peru but first to the Amazon part. Have got five full days and two partials in Iquitos, with a $26/night centrally located hotel already booked. Am leaning toward a standard daytrip out on the river for $75 for the first day, but the rest is wide open. Time and budget don't allow for something on a grand scale like the longer trips, though something of 1-2 nights might be doable. Or just stay in town (Lonely Planet seemed to like it). The whole ayahuasca thing seems a bit scary (i.e. drinking stuff that makes you throw up), but I guess some people go for that. The info on the boat stations was a bit confusing, but I gather there are boats up and down the river mostly not for tourists. Would an overnight RT on any of those be worthwhile? (Am thinking of a scenario like the Alaska Marine Highway where you can see a lot even from a boat that's traveling for other purposes). Any other suggestions welcome.