FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying with Possible Congestion/Ear Issues
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:35 am
jerry305

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by RJS5689
Hi all, I'm supposed to leave for Grand Cayman tomorrow. I depart LGA-->IAH, then IAH-->Grand Cayman.

When I was little, I had severe problems with my ears when flying. It had put me off from flying until about three years ago, when I flew from LGA-->LAX. For that flight I took Sudafed and wore Earplanes. I landed with minimal/no ear pain or discomfort.

I was planning to take the same approach with this flight; however, I seem to be battling some allergies or a slight cold. I've had a sore throat for several days, a minor headache and slight runny nose/congestion. These issues are casing me to worry (which I do a lot of, anyway). Based on what I've read on here, I was thinking of doing my usual Sudafed and Earplane routine, but also combining it with Afrin nasal spray before takeoff (I never, ever use this stuff due to the "rebound effect" and negative effects on the sinuses, but desperate times call for desperate measures). Someone also suggested I take Mucinex to keep any phlegm/mucus as thin as possible.

Is there any other advice you all can offer me? I'm trying to stay excited for my vacation. but I'm more nervous/paranoid than I am excited.
Can you try the medication in small dose at ground level today?

I chew gum or suck on candies constantly during the entire descent, and stay conscious of whether my ears build any pressure. Chewing seems to reset that effect for me, so that I never experience a significant change in pressure.