FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: CX J from a BA Gold perspective
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:18 am
dylanks

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Trip Report: CX J from a BA Gold perspective

Part 1: Overview, PHX-LAX (AA), and LAX TBIT
Part 2: LAX-HKG (CX)
Part 3: Exploring Hong Kong
Part 4: HKG-LAX (CX) and LAX-PHX (US)

Overview

As a BA Gold card holder, I often read on FlyerTalk about how amazing Cathay Pacific business class is when compared to BA Club World. I recently had my first trip to Hong Kong, and being based in Phoenix, it did not make sense to fly via LHR, so I gave CX a try. I also had a pair of short flights on AA and US to/from LAX to position for the trip to Hong Kong.

This trip report tries to take a fairly impartial look at the experience in comparison to typical BA Club World.

The overall route for this trip was scheduled as follows:

PHX-LAX
Mar 28 06:05-07:25
AA 2629

LAX-HKG
Mar 28 12:25-19:15 (+1 day)
CX 885

HKG-LAX
Apr 5 16:30-14:05
CX 882

LAX-PHX
Apr 5 17:55-19:17
US 736

This was purchased as two separate tickets, which AA handles more favorably than most airlines. The tickets were fairly expensive as they were purchased less than a month prior to departure, and the first weekend was the Hong Kong 7s, a popular rugby tournament. The separate tickets were needed to save $3000 off the cost of a combined ticket.

To minimize the possibility of a missed connection, I took the earliest flight on March 28. On the return, I knew that both AA and US offer a friendly MoveUp program for passengers with status, so if my CX flight was early, I could switch to an earlier US or AA flight. I'm still surprised that this is not something BA offers its Gold members for shorthaul routes.

Due to the relatively late booking, there was a fairly limited selection of seats, and I wanted to try the famous mini-cabin on CX, a section with 8 seats directly behind business class. While I checked daily, the best seats I found were 11D and 11G, both middle seats but with direct aisle access. While you could argue that BA's approach of charging for seat assignments to non-status holders might have benefited me, the section I was seated is generally restricted to status holders until 72 hours before the flight, so presumably everyone in this section also had status. Also, on my last BA flights, even a few weeks in advance, the upper deck was completely full to and from the US, so even BA's approach to selling seat assignments isn't a guarantee of a preferred seat.

PHX-LAX
06:05-07:25 (scheduled and actual)
AA 2629 (CRJ)
Seat 9C (exit row)

For this early morning departure, I departed from home at 4:00 am via the Execucar service and arrived at Sky Harbor around 4:30 am. American has recently moved into Terminal 4 at Phoenix, the terminal that US and BA both occupy. This is a huge upgrade, as terminal 3 is very limited in the amenities of the terminal (no lounge access, very limited restaurant options). There is a bit of confusion of passengers as to whether they are flying on AA or US given the large number of codeshares currently in place, but I was quickly through to the AA first class line.

For reasons that are not clear, I could not retrieve my CX boarding pass online, and neither could the AA agent. That said, they were able to check my bag all the way through to Hong Kong. I asked about lounge access, and was told that the new lounge in the B concourse was now open.

I had TSA PreCheck as part of the global entry program, but it wasn't open this early. Instead, I went through normal security with the equivalent of a fast track lane, and they said to not take off my shoes or belt and show them my boarding pass as part of PreCheck. I was through security within 10 minutes without a body scanner or groping.

The new lounge near B4 is finished, but it doesn't open until 6 am. I guess the counter agent didn't really consider how early it was when suggesting I visit the lounge.

Terminal 4 has a variety of new restaurants, with a good mix of local favorites. Unfortunately, most were not open at this early hour, even though AA has a bank of flights departing before 6 am. I missed out on having Matt's Big Breakfast, a popular local restaurant that offers an excellent breakfast or lunch service. Instead I found Press Coffee and ordered a breakfast sandwich, which was reasonably good.

The boarding area was updated for American (new signs, AA priority boarding lanes, etc.) at the end of the B concourse. Our gate display wasn't operational, which seemed to give the gate agent something to worry about, as about 50% of the passengers approached her asking if this was for the flight to Los Angeles.

Boarding commenced on-time, though why AA fly a CRJ to LAX is beyond me. The only benefit of the exit row was that there was no passenger seated next to me. These planes are truly awful, but again, I took this flight to have plenty of connection time in Los Angeles. The flight attendant was very friendly, especially for such an early morning departure, and we had an on-time departure and arrival. Nothing on BA has seats this uncomfortable, even the old BMI planes, though I have not yet tried the BA CityFlyer service.

LAX layover

We arrived at Gate 44, which is really a bus gate to a remote terminal near terminal 8. To leave this terminal, you must take a bus to the real gate 44 in terminal 4. Given the early hour, this took much less time than during my last trip through Los Angeles in December

Consistent with the theme so far on this trip, it was too early to retrieve my CX boarding pass, so I popped into the AA Flagship lounge in terminal 4. It's nothing special, though better than a normal Admirals Club and not very crowded at 8 am. I had a couple of bites of food and stopped as it was very bland. The Evian water is a nice touch for a lounge in the US. It's somewhat funny to use a hotel key card to sneak into a different lounge within a lounge. The most redeeming features in this lounge appear to be the views, reduced crowds, and some very bad free food.

I stayed in the Flagship Lounge just until the CX flight opened for boarding, as I'd rather see more of the new Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), even if the new OW lounge is not yet open.

At 9:30 am, I took a short five minute walk from the lounge, exiting security, and over to the CX counter. CX was a few minutes late opening check-in, and I waited a few minutes until they were ready. CX seems to treat OneWorld Emerald members quite well, and even though I had queued in the business class lane, they quickly reminded me that I was eligible for first class everything (except a seat on the plane). After a quick document check, and getting a reference to my luggage tags, I received my boarding pass and lounge invitation.

I was through security (no PreCheck option, and it was too early for the priority lane to be open, so I opted for groping over the body scanner) and was in the lounge within 20 minutes. They have not yet completed the renovation of parts of TBIT, and the security area is still part of the old terminal setup.

This process was almost too efficient, as the first class lounge wasn't open yet. I was told they would announce when the first class lounge would open, and I popped into the business class lounge which was nearly empty. I had a small tabbouleh salad, and then the other lounge opened.

I enjoyed being the only passenger in the lounge for the first 30 minutes before a few more guests entered. Oddly, the first few guests all chose to sit near me, rather than making use of the space. I think this lounge is underrated and the Flagship Lounge overrated, as the food selection in here was far superior. Given the current renovations at TBIT, this lounge has no windows, which makes it a bit dark and boring. The wifi was reasonably fast, the service was attentive, and the food was decent to pass the time. Power outlets were limited, but with my early arrival, I had no issue finding a good location.

At around 11:30 am, I was ready to stretch my legs, and the flight was supposed to depart on-time. I walked around the terminal for a while. Larder at Tavern looks like a great restaurant, with a good selection of organic meal options. It's a very nice terminal, comparable in style to many of the major airports around the world, and probably the nicest terminal in the US now, though I've not seen the new SFO terminal 2 or the new renovations at JFK. That said, it is relatively small, but much more spacious than the old TBIT. One thing that is odd is that it is difficult to get views of the actual planes as there is so much retail space obstructing the views.

This terminal was built right next to the old terminal which they are slowly tearing down, so parts of the old terminal are still in use for their boarding gates. It provides for an interesting contrast.

Coming next: LAX-HKG on CX in J!

Last edited by dylanks; Apr 18, 2014 at 7:57 am Reason: Add link to part 4