FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:25 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Ever since the merger there has been a need for a replacement of the previous United Airlines Forum Glossary. I started (2-3 times ) with the original thread and finally made an concerted effort during some recent transcons to create a updated version. It felt a bit presumptuous to create this glossary but I guess someone had to do this.

There are a number of ways to organize the glossary. The main FT Glossary is alphabetical and the older UA Forum glossary was topically organized. There are benefits to both, but for now I stayed with the topical approach – it is up to the group to make the final decision.

The depth of definition is a tricky issue. You want effort to explain the term but multi-paragraph definitions with all the relevant if, ands, buts seem to defeat the purpose of a useable glossary.

Besides updating the terminology due to the merge, some older pre-merger terms were left in since they are still occasionally used and help set a context.

As a wiki, this is open to all to edit, revise, enhance, ... I would ask we keep the dialogue here informative and neutral in tone.