FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Don't book with dollar
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:50 pm
jerseyfinn

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
A few observations:
  • You do not state if you are a dollar Express member or simply a non-elite customer
  • You state that Hertz ( who owns Dollar ) offers you a solution for a van or a compact car. You decline this offer and end up with a Dollar mid-size car which still does not satisfy you ( which means Dollar accomodates your most important need which is a vehicle you can drive across the border.
  • Your unhappiness now concludes that people should not rent from Dollar.

It's never wholly satisfying when a rental does not meet expectations/requirements. To be fair, it should be noted that Dollar or any other car company will attempt to do their best to work out a solution for a customer, but each individual location has it's own constraints in terms of inventory & pick ups and drop offs at a different location. Even as a
Dollar Express elite, I have had a couple of instances in which they do not have the exact car I requested, but solutions were always offered albeit imperfect. In the OP's case, there is also the issue of moving inventory across the border which might create additional inventory issues.

Once again, what jumps out at me is that OP seems more interested in demanding the exact vehicle they want then are they interested in the ability to pick up and drop off at different locations. It sounds like Dollar itself attempts to arbitrage a solution through Hertz ( since the OP is told to return the car to a Hertz location and not a Dollar location -- this could account for the confusion on the drop-off side of the equation which is not totally Dollar's bad ).

Patience is a virtue and graciousness is an aqcquired taste, especially when there are hiccoughs during a trip. In any case, the OP completes their trip within the time frame required and non of this is a valid argument for not doing business with Dollar.

Enough said.

barry