FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best DSL modem for CenturyLink
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:50 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well....

I was able to pick up a Q1000 for very cheap. I figured I could resell it if need be.

Which it turns out, I need to.

It turns out it will not work on the CenturyLink DSL.

Any of the "Level 3 support" modems/routers on here (besides the c1000A, which I will look into) http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...table-ctl.html ones that folks would particularly recommend for strong signals?

(When I was testing Q1000 its signal was MUCH stronger in the farthest reaches of the house than the rented Zyxel PK5001Z. Which brings up a side-topic: I can only assume that routers with external antennas are going to be more solid performers than those without. Why have so many manufacturers seemingly dispensed with external antennas?).

Some have suggested to me that I should simply continue to rent that modem since all the risk is with CenturyLink in the case of something going south. That is somewhat compelling, but, still renting something whose cost after 4-5 months is the same as buying chaps me a little...