FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvice: Pay, upgrade or grin and bear it to India
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:38 am
carsnoceans

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
THANKS guys for the tips. gottaluvNW, how do you buy/fly $2K worth of miles in business? I have about 150,000 (mostly BIS) miles saved in my account. And, is $2K really alot for a trip to India? It seemed par for the fares which I was looking at -- from around $1700 for deep discounted coach seats (from Expedia); to $2K-ish from the AA site and a slightly better fare bucket if it makes a difference (it does in the % of elite miles which could be earned on Qatar Air). Thanks carsnoceans for the interesting read ...

I still am inclined to pay for the seat and try to upgrade with miles so that I can earn some EQM (I will be short for qualification to AA PLAT by my projected estimates this year and the extra 25% EQM in the slightly higher fares are somewhat attractive). THANKS!!!
EQM is always BIS. There is no extra cherry on it. You are probably looking at COS bonus which is RDM.

For deep-discount fares to DEL/BOM go for ~$800. Granted your fare will be a little higher for GOI but still that's a big jump.