FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvice: Pay, upgrade or grin and bear it to India
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:21 pm
AA_SPG_Fan

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
AAdvice: Pay, upgrade or grin and bear it to India

Hello -- Making my first trip to India, Goa, paying for a coach seat and the speculative routing now is similar to: SFO-JFK-CDG-DOH-GOI with the last three being on Qatar. I've been around AA for awhile, but have never used a mile upgrades or an AAward for international travel. The ticket is around $2,000 in coach (L fares are what I usually find on the AA site). Don't wish/have the cash for a proper premium cabin fare; so, I wanted to upgrade if possible (or pay with miles for the entire fare). The way which I read the T&C on the AA site, it seems the upgrade on Qatar is not possible using an upgrade award. (?)

What's your advice: Pay for the coach seat, upgrade up to CDG (AA metal)? (Is it possible to split the upgrade 'cost' just for the AA metal portion? Or, pay for entire trip in Business with miles? Or, grin and bear it for numerous hours and fly in the back? I would also like to maximize earning a few elite miles this trip, so I am inclined to just fly on a paid seat and try to upgrade if possible. Any ideas? Thanks so much.