FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 London Marathon - Children with Cancer UK
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:19 pm
rwoman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
April 4, 2014 - Update #1 - The Course!

Hi Everyone,

As I know some have followed this journey through this thread, I figured I'd post some pics of what's to come a week from tomorrow! My first trip to London was in 2005. These pics are from a combination of trips before I moved here and in the time since I moved here.

The start line will be in Greenwich (as in home of Greenwich Mean Time!). There are actually three start lines and I'll be near the bottom of this hill. This is Maritime Greenwich from up on the hill above the start line. Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs (those evil "boring" miles) across the River Thames:

After the three mile marker, the course turns west. At four miles, I will be just south of the Thames Barrier, but on the road. Due to buildings and such, I doubt I'll be able to see it:

Between 6-7 miles, we'll be in Greenwich again and near the Cutty Sark. Looking at the map, buildings and such will be between the runners and the ship and the Thames:

From Greenwich, we head up through Canada Water and towards Southwark. I've walked the Thames Path through here and know it's not all that exciting - lots of houses, a Hilton, and more housing! We will pass Old Salt Quay in Rotherthithe:

We then wind around past Bermondsey and towards Tower Bridge - this is about the 11 mile mark: