FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting to the end of 16 A+/SW credits for 1 RR RT
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:40 am
rsteinmetz70112

Originally Posted by launcher
I am at 15.5 credits and it is looking like my 0.5 credits due from e-miles is just going to take too long to post. The A+ support told me 6 to 8 weeks it should post, but in the meantime I have credits falling off 4/15/14. My wife also has 2 credits expiring on 4/15/14, though she won't be getting close to 16.0 credits, her only 2 credits could help me get to 16 if I pay $19 each to convert one or both of them.
E-miles does take a long time to post.

couple of questions:
-As for the 4/15 exp date, does this mean when I log in on 4/15/14 I will be missing credits? Does my rewards conversion have to take place by Midnight 4/14 or 4/15??
I believe with Airtran you have until that date to book a flight but I would check the T&C.

-If I convert her credits at $19 each ($38.00 total, plus tax) then I may feel as though her two credits did not go to waste. However, I could just as well spend $8.50 worth of my southwest points to bring me from 15.5 to 16.0. My tax free rate of $17/credit is advantageous vs. airtran's conversion rate of $19/credit transferred. Furthermore, I am using southwest points toward an end, and Airtran method requires me to spend cash on top of points, a $40 value as opposed to $17.
The easiest thing it to transfer 600 of your Southwest points then transfer the 16 Airtran Credits back to create a new Southwest Standard Award which you will have one year to use.

[QUOTE]-And Airtran has a $29 fee to extend points that in my mind are only worth $20. So I should allow her Airtran points to expire gracefully, rather than throwing more money at retaining them, right? [QUOTE]

I think you have other options.

-In the past, there was a loophole where transferring between A+ and SW restarted the clock, but that is no longer allowed, correct? Are there any other loopholes I should be aware of?
You can do the two step and get 16 A+ Credits to Southwest creating an new Standard Award with a new expiration date 1 year from the date of conversion. That is not a loophole, it's explicitly stated in the T&C. As of 2 weeks ago it still worked.

There is a true loophole (or bug) where if you transfer on the date of expiration you get another year. I'm not clear how it works, you could ask in the Southwest Forum. I'm not clear on whether that loophole has been closed or not.

Another option is to transfer points from a Credit Card (Chase Ultimate Rewards works) or a Hotel program into you RR account and then to Airtran.
These transfers are pretty quick usually only a day or two sometimes instantly. This might also allow you to save your wife's credits.

If you are Elite on Airtran you can transfer enough of your credits to her at no cost, then create the Standard Award in her name. The Awards can be used to book tickets for anyone.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Apr 3, 2014 at 9:35 am