FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Serves Pizza
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:58 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I warned everyone about Delta's current management team a long time ago. Now look what we've been reduced to. Cheap takeout pizza. It speaks volumes that Delta provided a much better customer service experience while they were in bankruptcy than they do when they are making record profits.
The $ad thing is that they aren't an exception. UA and AA are both also headed down the same path. You'll hear similar complaints over on the UA board now and once Parker takes the reins at AA, you'll hear the same thing over there as well (trust ne on this one). While I understand that this is a business and a business needs to make a profit to be viable, one can make a profit without having a complete disregard for the dignity of one's customers. Southwest -- yes, I know their product isn't for everyone -- has been doing it for years and making money.

And really, that's what this issue encapsulates for me -- a disregard for the dignity of the people who pay the fares and thus the bills. This was a complete CF -- an 8 hour maintenance/crew delay that seriously disrupted people's travel plans and the best that can be done here is pizza at the gate, followed by another delay the following day of the same flight which led to complaints that SC agents weren't empowered to issue hotel vouchers. This is not how one chases high value customers, it's exactly how one chases them away. Penny-wise and pound foolish is the appropriate term here; incidents like this are an open invitation for government to step in and regulate as it seems to be the only viable way to stop these kinds of egregious practices in an industry that has become, for all intents and purposes, a cartel.