FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:36 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by emvchip
Can you elaborate on being burned? Did someone see your cash and take it from you or assume it was theirs instead of accepting your EMV card? What did they do when you told them it was to pay a street vendor or pay a friend back (i.e. folks who do not accept your EMV card)?
I don't know if you're subtly trying to imply that these posts are going off topic, but it would be best to come out and say that directly if that's the case...

By being burned I mean being compelled to spend smaller notes because the cashier saw them when I tried to pay with €50 (or in one case €20). There were language barriers here, but in each situation enough was understood that the cashier/waitress wanted to make the least amount of change possible. As this was in Germany, none of these places accepted cards as payment. I have never had my chip-and-signature card refused by a merchant that takes cards as a form of payment, only at unattended kiosks that use offline PIN verification.