FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Backpacking trip at Yosemite - recommend anyone?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:04 pm
Andrea Waters

Arrow

1. How familiar are you with Yosemite?

Reasonably. As mentioned in the previous post, we visited for a few days five years ago. Like typical tourists, we spent most of our time in the valley though my brother and I did venture up to Toulumne Meadows for a few day hikes. I'm certainly no expert.

2. Are there particular areas/peaks/waterfalls/types of terrain you'd like to see?

This is a great question. The answer is not particularly. I would prefer wooded areas/lakes/mountains but would really just enjoy being outside for a few days.

3. Describe your capability as a backpacker -- number of days, distance per day, how much elevation gain you can handle while carrying a full pack.

I am very physically capable. On a scale from 1-10 with 1 being a couch potato and 10 being Serena Williams, I'm an 8. I strength train quite heavily almost everyday and do 45 minutes of HIIT on the stairmill or treadmill six days a week. I'm 38 and vanity has taken over my pathetic life. I figure that I have three full months to dedicate to training for the trip. My mom, on the other hand, is probably at a 4 or a 5 but she's up for the challenge.

I'd prefer no more than five nights for a number of reasons. My mom is my best friend but I think I'd kill her after five nights together in the wilderness. I will say that this trip is mostly for her. She's 66. I have reached the point in my life where I know the days with my mom are not limitless, and that I need to do these really active trips with her while she's physically able. I've lived in Chicago for ten years while she still lives in my dreadful home state of Florida. We see each other 8-10 times per year and usually take about 3-4 trips together. We're planning on 2-3 nights at a luxury hotel in SF to end the trip.

4. Do you prefer a guided or self-guided trip, and why?

As I mentioned above, I prefer guided. I fully admit that I am kind of a spoiled city woman who really appreciates life's luxuries. I have no camping or backpacking experience. Zero! I mean, my parents camped with us a lot when I was a kid but that was like thirty years ago at this point.

I greatly appreciate any and all help you're willing to provide. Thank you.