FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best BA option for August Travel to US West Coast: Advice, please
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:09 am
jhks23

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; United Premier Platinum; Emirates Gold; Hilton Diamond
Best BA option for August Travel to US West Coast: Advice, please

Dear FTers,

I'm having trouble deciding how to go about booking my Summer holiday flights in August.

My holiday is starting with a few days in LA. From there I'll drive to San Francisco, to stay with friends there and in Napa for a few days. I'll then fly from SFO back to LAX on August 19th, fly AA First LAX to JFK on Wednesday 20th (a friend is joining me for this journey - this is currently booked with Avios), and then spend five nights in New York, flying home just after the weekend of the 23rd/24th August.

My last day of work for the season is in Hamburg on August 7th. I know flying long-haul ex-EU can often be a lot cheaper. I could fly via London from Hamburg to LA on August 8th, and then book something like JFK-LCY/LHR-HAM on the way home on August 25th, so that I don't have my bags checked through all the way to Hamburg. I could also use the rest of August 8th to position myself for another ex-EU option. Flying back to Heathrow would also be break, and solve my parking issues.

I'd like to pay for at least part of the fare, as I'm on track to become GGL and am in TP earning overdrive. On July 8th, I'll earn my two GUF1 vouchers, which I can happily use through a travel agent. I'd like to do all of this travel in at least J, if at all possible, but would rather not spend more than about £2k.

So, very wise people of FT, what would you do? I have no idea when ex-EU sales tend to happen. I have no idea if fares to the West Coast for early August are likely still to be affordable by the time I earn my GUF1s. I would love to travel in F on the A380 to LAX if at all possible.

Finally, the current fare for LHR-HAM-LAX in J on 08/08, and JFK-LCY/LHR-HAM is €2,432 (just under £2k).

I apologise if I've waffled. I'd be hugely grateful for your advice. Thanks!