FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are Travel Agents of Any Value?
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:01 pm
Reindeerflame

Originally Posted by ABG
Did you link the reason why the cruise line is offering you 100$ discount? The promo is called Launch Savings and it doesn't really pop up when pricing a cruise via Polar Online. It would only show when they actually go in to confirm the booking or make an option with your circle number membership
I did not provide the actual promo description, but I did provide the agent with precise details of how I found the lower fare, and what it was before and after, and that we have Ruby and Platinum status with Princess.

I would expect the agent, as an expert in the field, to either know about this, or to offer to find out. Instead, we get this attitude of "well, if you want to call Princess, feel free". That doesn't really sound like an expert at work, but rather like someone whose interest is adverse to mine.

For the record, I typically book virtually all my own travel and am quite good at putting together an individualized trip....my specialty. Cruises are something I have accepted, but never did before meeting my wife, so I have tended to defer to her lead on these. But even now, my wife is thinking we are getting a less than optimal deal, and loyalty to the agent's office is waning rapidly.

Does anyone think upgrades are more likely when working an agent? We received an upgrade to a minisuite on one cruise, but it's not clear whether the agent had anything to do with it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.