FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:58 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
Joely, how do you think the pies are less healthy than the pork belly? Did you not notice the large amount of (very tasty) fat on the pork or did you somehow eat around it?
In the pork belly, the fat is very visible because it comes as a layer, but there is plenty of (even more) fat in pies too. Fat in the pastry, fat in the filling, and you pair it with carbohydrates.

In fact, this site says that a typical steak and ale pie is 32% fat vs "only" 23% in pork belly http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ics-pie-i76418 so even if you looked at fat alone Joely's statement would seem correct, and of course there is much more than the fat issue.

That said, while I don't like the pies, I'm glad people can enjoy them, what I don't understand is the lack of rotation - they will be on for months but some of us are in this lounge every week, sometimes several times a week so it would be nice to NOT have the same buffet hot (be it pork belly, beef rib, or pies) stay around for months in a row.

And to me, cold meat/fish on the buffet (which was already there before) does not replace hot fish/meat options in the a la carte menu.