FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multi-leg booking. At once or separately.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:37 pm
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by xero9
I would like to book YYZ->LHR, stay in England for a couple days, then fly LHR->CDG, spend a few days in Paris, then eventually fly back to Toronto on British Airways. To get back from Paris, it's CDG->LHR->YYZ.

I would like to book separately so round trip YYZ-LHR and round trip LHR-CDG because it's about $600 cheaper.

Obviously if I book all in one go and I miss my connection in LHR the airline will put me on the next flight. If I book them separately will it still be treated this way, or will I be out of luck much like if my car breaks down on the way to the airport and I don't make it there on time.
If CDG-LHR and LHR-YYZ are both on BA, then you will probably be fine (and get reaccommodated) if the reason that you miss LHR-YYZ is that CDG-LHR is late. However, if that happens, don't expect more than being reaccommodated; you won't necessarily get your hotel paid for if you're delayed overnight, whereas you would if you were on a through booking.

One possible compromise is to book YYZ-LHR and then CDG-LHR-YYZ on one ticket, and book a one-way LHR-CDG (which, on your plans, might just as well be on a separate ticket as you have nothing to gain from it being on the same ticket).

Another idea - and a much better one if you're travelling from central London to central Paris - is to take the Eurostar train from London to Paris. If you're travelling city centre to city centre, it's almost madness to hoof out to an airport to fly.