FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 15 - 21 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #2
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:02 pm
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jv66
This supposes that as a passenger you know precisely what the route of KUL-PEK is which I doubt anyone does.
That's foolish. Of course people do...

Originally Posted by mbece
Unless I'm flying a route I'm really familiar with, I'm awake and there's day light, I'm sure I wouldn't even notice the plane is going off track. Even if someone notices it with a compass, what would cue you into thinking something odd (ie, not a weather related reroute) is in place?

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
I don't know that they'd have to stare out the window, the occasional glance might trigger a concern that they had passed over the sea 3+ hours longer than they typically would have done.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of Asia geography (and sitting on the left side of the plane) would notice that they're seeing water for way too long.

And all this talk of moonless night (true) is irrelevant, land has lights and allows a view of the ground. The lack of city or household lights would be very unnerving.