Old Mar 13, 14, 4:20 pm
Jasper2009
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadaDH View Post
I'm a little surprised they won't do this. You have a customer asking to pay more for a better room, and they can't accept. And I'm not even asking for a discount, as I'm willing to pay the full published difference between the 2 options. That would seem like a good deal for Fairmont?
Itīs not a good deal for the hotel if they can actually sell the nice suites to someone (which quite likely is the case in the Rockies in summer). Itīs definitely possible to negotiate a better suite directly with the res department at some hotels, but itīs not consistent and certainly not "corporate policy" afaik. IME it depends on who you deal with, the dates of your stay, your FPC profile/stay history, whether you have gotten to know management over the course of many years etc.

In any case, my opinion about those paid upgrades is very mixed: Just a few years ago it used to be pretty common that FPC Plats could confirm an upgrade to any non-specialty suite, sometimes one had to contact the hotel directly, but it generally was quite doable.

Now more and more hotels are offering only the lowest suite category when using a suite upgrade cert - which is still a good deal at some hotels, but at other hotels the "junior suites" (with no view) often are rather unimpressive.

Iīve been able to negotiate upgrades to 2-bedroom suites and specialty suites in the past which was a great benefit and worked out well for both the hotel and myself, but being asked to pay an additional $50-$150 per night to get the same suite upgrade I consistently received a few years ago certainly wonīt increase my loyalty.