FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can I afford to travel and how much money I earn from Travel Blogging
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:29 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by ScottC
As someone with a bit of a history in blogging, I can say that her site is the perfect mix of the kind of content travel advertisers like to see.

99% of the content on BA is total crap, and only appeals to a very small portion of the traveling public. Does her girly attitude and photos help? You bet, but her content is fresh, bright and colorful. Compare any BA blog to her blog and you'll see why she does so well.

As for CC referrals being "King", perhaps in the US, but if you want a global audience, they are meaningless, and again - only appeal to a very, very small portion of your audience.
Yup, her blog has actual content. Don't get me wrong, I check TPG for the big stuff from major issuers or airlines, I think Gary does a good job with some analysis, and One Mile At a Time is just a fun blog to read because I think Lucky/Ben is insane. But those sites, by and large, all contain the same 90% of content and differentiate on the last bit. I might read them for a particular objective -

*TPG for big news (big meaning from a major company, because he only posts things that can earn him a referral)
*OMaaT if I'm going on a trip in J and need to pick a product, because he's flown them all and his reviews are entertaining; doesn't pimp credit cards nearly as hard
*VFTW for some honest analysis on some of the things TPG posts as well

But Just One Way Ticket is living what she writes about. For real. Not just a short term jaunt for the purpose of generating content. That's readable every day because a lot of us sitting at a desk would love to be doing that - if not full time, maybe a month between jobs or something, or even 2 weeks with the family. That's good content, and if I were paying to advertise (I have nothing relevant to advertise), her blog would be high on my list.