FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ANA J & First Square, United Y & p.s., The Tokyo Station Hotel
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:05 am
JVPhoto

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The Tokyo Station Hotel

(photos courtesy Wikimapia & JapanHotels)

I really really like the hotel! Check in was quick and painless. I got off the Narita Express around 10:30 and navigated towards the Marunouchi exit. Can't miss the hotel with the beautiful facade, the actual hotel entrance is closer to the southern exit. You'll notice in the photos above not much has changed! There is still some construction and things out front which and a big giant switch back for taxis.

Check in was quick and painless, friendly and courteous staff. I was taken up to the room by two porters who showed me EVERY function of the room (arigato but I want to get in the bath I know how to use a safe and fridge door!). I had to remind myself that the bowing and smiles were not them stalling to wait for a tip but actual enthusiasm.

The hotel takes up the entire length that you see in the photos. I timed it from the north atrium to the south and being 6'2" and talking a normal pace it took me 2min 55 sec to get to the other side. There are many tables in between the rooms along the hallways that have flowers on them, access to the floors past the elevator have big clear sliding glass doors that open with the room key. You can look out and view people coming and going from the ends of the halls into the northern and southern atriums of the station.

If I am going to mention one of the downsides to it I would say that it's the views, because really...there are none. I knew that I wasn't getting some 30+ story highrise where you have a skyline view. However, my room pretty much looks at the backwall of part of the station. They Imperial sides I didn't realize how it's still a few blocks away from the Palace and park so even on that side you don't really get to see much. I would say the most interesting room/views would be the ones that circle the atriums and look out into the dome and below.

The room is bigger than I imagined, I feel in New York or Paris it would be 25% less in size. Has a nice tub, minibar that mostly has beer/soft drinks and then a few little bottles of booze. Heated toilet with all the functions, has a air purifier/humidifier in addition to the a/c. One thing that is annoying is at the desk (at least in my room) there is no access to a power outlet to plug in my laptop. One of the details of the hotel that I think is quite nice is the newspaper holder that is outside of each room.

Next to the nightstand there is a little control panel that is the clock/alarm but also let's you adjust the light in the room, put on the DND sign and if you want at night the floor lights if you get up and use the loo.

Housekeeping must have a notification when you put on the Make Up Room button because sure enough as I am walking out and down the hall just a few doors down one o f the maids comes out as I leave and heads to the room. Also very nice in the little ways they organize things (i.e. my tooth brush) or some loose change on the desk, slippers, shoes etc.

I went to check out the fitness center/spa area but for Y1,000 per use I didn't feel it was worth it. For Y2,000 you can use the spas baths, sauna, relaxation areas without doing a full treatment.

Breakfast is available on the 4th floor in a big bright and beautiful room...the food is great and so much variety! When I was booking the room I think there was the option to add breakfast but that rate would have added I think it was Y5,000-5,500/night to include breakfast for 2. However, since I am usually alone that's never really a good deal for me (plus I don't eat (a big) breakfast everyday). So about every other day I have just been adding it to the room charge which is Y3,800. Has lots of East & West options.

The hotel has quite a few restaurants (French, Italian, Sushi, Yakatori, Japanese, Lobby Bar, Camellia Bar). A few of them are located on the upper level past one of the atriums (you would thought it at the 2nd level which is open air above the station) and through some more doors. The first real night here I went to the Camellia Bar since I was still tired and getting my bearings. I had a Sidecar which was served in a glass half the size as I expected. I tried some red wine which was the weekly "Sommelier's Suggestion" that quite frankly was some of the worst swill I've ever tasted. I got a Japanese stew with some vegetables and noodles on the side...filling but not too flavorful which surprised me. The ambience of the bar was great.

That's really all I have for the hotel, check out their site if you are looking for any other info or ask away! I am going to try to check out and have dinner at the Yakatori place in it before I leave. All in all I am happy with my choice, I wouldn't mind coming back here again...it has a certain elegance to it with hints of nostalgia (being above the train station, the Queen Anne facade) that makes it seem like it is a Grand Old Dame. However, if...WHEN I do come back to Tokyo again I think I would mix it up and stay in something that is up up up in floor count to experience the cities views and that type of thing.

Multi-part Tokyo photo adventure diary coming soon!

Last edited by JVPhoto; Mar 8, 2014 at 1:12 am