FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:56 am
JetAway

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
So we finished our three stay day and while I have to say that I love the hotels location almost everything else let it down. In 2013 when we stayed we were greeted by every member of staff by name, asked how we were enjoying our stay and could they help in any way? 2014 -nada - the only staff that interacted with us were the bell guys and the concierges - everyone else - no eye contact - no "Hi" - nothing. Every morning asked - "have you eaten here before?" - same staff!

All three breakfasts were unmemorable - day one - extremely poor service and inedible food - the restaurant was busy but they should staff accordingly - day two - restaurant very quiet - didnt bother with a la carte just stuck to buffet - only enough OJ left for 1 glass - total fruit on offer was 7 pieces of strawberry and a spoonful of blueberries - left after 10 minutes to get breakfast at one of the pubs on George Street. Day three - three tables occupied - asked for bacon and eggs and went to get some fruit. Hadnt even touched my fruit when hot breakfast delivered - waiter waited until I moved my fruit to one side and dropped plate on table - eggs were overcooked and inedible so left them - another quick breakfast.

At checkout the FD Manager appeared and asked if we had enjoyed our "special stay". I was tempted to leave it but my wife had other ideas and gave him both barrels (in a very polite way) He looked like he had been sucker punched - apologised and promised to get back to us.

And to end it all my paid stay has not appeared on my GP account just the bar bill for cocktails one night.

We had intended to enjoy our stay at the PH but to be honest we didnt spend much time there. We changed our plans to have lunch and dinner there and enjoyed great meals and service elsewhere in the city.

I don't know what has gone wrong at the PH but this wasn't a 5 Star experience - I have received much better service at a Hyatt Place - and a better breakfast!
My stay last November wasn't that poor but it certainly wasn't 5* either. Service was friendly but lax. As I've noted previously, I think this hotel increasingly relies on local high-dollar special events (there were two big weddings and a celebrity "event" at the hotel when I was there) and much less on tourists, most of whom are transitory, such as cruise pax or "points people" and therefore meriting less special attention.