Old Mar 5, 14, 12:45 pm
bkballin

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I just returned from my trip to Aruba. I was due to stay at the Westin for my second time from 2/27-3/3 and experienced all the issues and frustration everyone has voiced here. Starwood put me up in the Riu and only after 4 attempts was I able to get someone from Riu reservations to send me a confirmation that I had a room. Long story short, there were a lot of Westin people at the Riu and most had no confirmation of their room before they got there. Everyone did have rooms though and the front desk personnel was as accommodating as they could be when issues arose.

The hotel itself was ok. The rooms could be updated, a king bed is 2 full size beds pushed together and my tv was a Zenith (27 inch tube tv). On the plus side it is all inclusive for all of the Westin transfers which includes all meals and drinks (including brand name liquors). The pool is much better than the Westin in my opinion mostly because there is a swim up bar. For anyone with status though, you will quickly realize you are not special at the Riu when you are only allowed one towel per person and the loss of your towel or towel card results in a $20 charge and whatever you do, don't lose your all-inclusive wristband!

With the Riu being right next door to the Westin you have access to the same nightlife and food options in the High Rise district. The breakfast and lunch buffets were better than expected but we preferred to eat dinner outside of the resort as that is one of the reasons to go to Aruba and not DR for instance. For anyone concerned, you should allay your fears as your trip will not be ruined. Not to say I will ever return to the Riu but for this trip it was good enough.