FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA award flight cancelled due to schedule change
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:09 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hillrider
AA made a misleading statement, period. That's the violation of law; whether the particular individual was mislead or not is 100% irrelevant, as a less sophisticated customer would have fallen for it ("since it's a [government] tax, I have no option but to pay it").Can you tell us why would that make any difference, given the copious evidence that even after being fined by the DOT on this very subject they still have not trained their agents not to make misleading statements (i.e. this is not an isolated incident)?
The big thing I see is that the person did not pay the additional sum based on this information ( and still has not paid the extra ) nor is now unaware that it is a surcharge

Yes, I agree that it is a breach of regulation in what the agent did
I do not agree that this then gives the passenger now the right to make the change without paying it
If the passenger had paid the surcharge based on it being called a tax and was now complaining to DOT to get the misrepresented sum refunded, that would be quite different surely