FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Important to You is Your Trust in a Frequent Travel Loyalty Program?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:00 pm
mlbach

Programs: All airlines / hotels
I'm part of the 70% who feel trust is important. I have reached a stage where I don't want to open my (e)mail from Delta, as I wonder what else they are taking away. Trust is gone; DL wants to act like Southwest & JetBlue, so I really don't have a choice but to entertain new airlines. DL has chosen to divorce me, something I didn't want.

I know that revenue matters more than longevity to Delta. I grudgingly accept that change. What DL fails to recognize in these last changes is that passengers are forced (either by our company travel agents or our own interests) to accept the lowest fares in a market but we always know mileage accreditation. For example, I travel to JNB. If DL has sold enough seats, the lowest fare will be $1,500 or more higher than on days when it hasn't sold enough seats. DL has a plane to fill. But, under the current system, I know my exact "mileage" amount. Now, I'm not in control of pricing & I have no way to effectively know where I stand on my earnings.

Another example of trust: Try redeeming points today at the 25,000 point level. DL insists it is possible. In reality,its near impossible. I know what questions to ask DL agents and my long term status is respected enough that some DL Agents will confide that, even on planes with no seats booked (and it happens if you try booking far enough out) the lowest point class isn't available. That doesn't enable trust - and is not connected to Delta's statement about how every initiative undertaken is a positive response to FF requests.

While its Delta's right to change the FF program, it can be done in a way that enables trust to continue. Change is hard. Particularly when one stays loyal through the bad years of the airline only to be thrown under the bus when the airline return to profitability. DL isn't paying income tax because of accumulated operating losses, so this isn't an airline in financial trouble.

Thanks to Delta discounting my trust, I've now become an advocate for increasing competition from new airlines. Airlines like Norweigan Air must be allowed entry into the US, assuming they can prove safety and air worthiness. They fly new equipment, just like Volaris (the leading low cost airline in Mexico). I really hope fellow FF's will also encourage our Gov't to do all it can to allow new airlines to enter.

All that said, it doesn't feel good to have the trust I put in Delta dismissed. Yes, I have rose-colored glasses. I learned years ago that you have to give to get; I feel like I've done my part. Delta isn't reciprocating. I have to accept it and move on.