FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:48 am
abitlost

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mapelle621
Our cab driver did not want/refused to pass the barriers. He suggested to take the skytrain to the hotel, but after a brief look we saw that the hotel was only a minute walk from the intersection before the barriers.

We got to the hotel at midnight (in retrospect, probably not a great time), and saw small tents all along the opposite side of the street. certainly not for the faint of heart.

After talking with the fdc, it seems like they took advantage of the fact that they have very low occupancy and closed down 5 floors, including the upper-class rooms for renovation/refreshing. It's a shame that this hotel is where it is because it is very beautiful!
I was under the impression that the tents in front of the Renaissance were for the authorities. They are all camouflaged, orderly, and did not appear to be occupied. The tents on the other side of the barrier near the protest zone in front of Central World are for the protesters, I thought, as are the ones in Lumpini Park and near Siam Square etc... I genuinely do not know. My mototaxi drivers definitely were not going to ask to open the barricade, but I feel self conscious arriving at fancy hotels on mototaxis anyway and am happy to walk. Hope you enjoy your stay. Getting from the Renaissance to the airport has always proven quicker for me with the BTS and Phaya Thai train anyway, but that cannot be pleasant with a lot of luggage.