FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - reflection: SWU/SSWU vs e-upgrades
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:36 pm
maradori

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Huhuhu I think I still have two of the :-: blue :-: SWUs from 2010 in a drawer somewhere. The SWUs are just as useful as the duty free coupons

I did like how, as E back then (wow, only 35K needed), they gave two reds. Also it was good that even now, E50K can still choose 40 e-ups which is the equivalent to 2 reds. But I guess in a way, it pales in comparison to the original of 2 reds and 2? blues.

I do like the new e-ups compared to the paper certs though. Before, the "best value" was to use the two reds to upgrade two international segments. If you're a domestic flyer, you're kinda screwed. I like the new system in many ways as it is

1. Electronic, so no need to remind my family members to call EXACTLY at blah blah time on blah blah date to request the upgrade (I had to do that when I travelled to Tokyo as an E)

2. Flexible - I don't feel like I'm "wasting" a red by upgrading YYZ-SFO

3. More useful - before, the threshold upgrades were mainly blue SWUs which are totally useless to me. Now, I can upgrade on el-cheapo G fares as much as I have e-ups for

I think the e-up copays are a bit ........ especially considering how expensive international flex fares are already

I'm mildly interested to see how the wackos in Marketing will butcher the e-up program for 2015. I'm betting they'll add the ability to e-up from Y -> PY and increase the number of credits Y -> J. I'm curious how we SEs will get shafted