FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:18 am
dcstudent

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by SJChick
The upgrade in category of the Sheraton Waikiki, Sheraton Maui and Westin Maui is a crime. Seems like Starwood is taking advantage of the supply and demand situation in Hawaii; hotel rates there are off the charts. Glad we bought our timeshares at WKORV 13 years ago and I can now justify using the points to stay at the Royal Hawaiian and St. Regis Princeville.
Welcome to Flyertalk! Hopefully, you'll stick around and add your knowledge to our board.

I don't like the change is category of the hotels in Hawaii either, but I do understand them. The biggest factor in the category changes (as far as we can gather from postings by the Lurkers) is the room revenue. Since Hawaii's rates have soared so goes the category, regardless of whether we think a particular hotel is worth going to for the amount of points *wood charges. (There seem to be other factors as well, for example, expectation of higher room rates at the conclusion of a renovation.)