FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:30 pm
uncommonsensical

As I said last week, I was afraid of SPG gutting the only value left on their chart- the low end. Glad that didn't happen.

I guess they, perhaps, see it as it is: SPG points are not easy to earn or MS vs say Hyatt (or Marriott, IHG) with UR points being so easy to generate. There is no reason to add categories- the high end is obscenely priced already, or not priced at all with the 'limited participation' properties that will maybe let you have a room for 70k+ a night. compare that to Hyatt maxing out at 30k (again easy to obtain points) for only 6 properties, and the likes of PH Maldives at only 25k a night AFTER devaluation and... massive devaluation of SPG at the top end happened well before 2014. HEven with Hilton's devaluation bloodbath last year, their high end properties are still a much better value based on my calculations.

I really like SPG properties and service, so i am glad that i still have a section of the chart (cat 1-3) that makes the program valuable to me.