FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:16 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Chocolates and cookies haven't always been ok for import into the US, and so I always declare them. I follow CBP actions very closely but I don't assume that I'm always on top of changes or all developments on what goodies are not generally permissible at the time of my return to the US.

Consumable foodstuff is always declared by me when I have such stuff.
+1

I think Kinder Eggs are an excellent example of something apparently innocuous that could cause real problems.

There's nowhere on the airline videos or the blue form indicating that there's a special type of chocolate, ie, Kinder Eggs, that is specifically prohibited. I suspect there are many many frequent travelers unaware of this restriction. I brought them back overland from Canada for a long time and may have brought them back after they were prohibited without realizing it. I verbally declared chocolates and no one ever asked specifically about Kinder Eggs.

Confiscation is bad enough, if it's something that a reasonable traveler couldn't (IMHO) be expected to know about. Losing trusted traveler status or getting flagged by a zealous agent is a much bigger deal.

Sometimes the declaration is simple and the agent waves you through or gives you the 'why are you wasting my time?' attitude. Sometimes it leads to a time-wasting secondary. I'm risk averse and will continue to follow the instructions I was given: declare it all, even if I know it is allowed.