FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How was your domestic flight today in the 'storm'?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:50 am
BHDATC

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
How was your domestic flight today in the 'storm'?

Flew LHR-BHD today and I have to say even as someone who flies 2-4 times per week domestically and through Europe, my heart was in my mouth.

Boarded and the captain stated that it was a 'great day for flying' as soon as we got out above the weather. He stated that it would be a bit bumpy on approach due to 30-35mph winds at BHD from the East.

Departed and for the first 10 minutes it was relatively smooth with just some light chop. We never did break through the weather. We reached 36000ft and the turbulence was heavy. Didn't see blue sky for the entire 60 minutes. Cabin Crew were asked to return to their stations where they remained. The seat belt sign didn't go out for the entire flight. Quite a number of nervous flyers were in visible distress and one lady made good use of her sick bag and had to hold it until 10 minutes before landing.

Approach was dreadful with thick dense cloud and large movements as the aircraft tried to ride the weather. Captain, to his credit, was on 5 or 6 times apologising and stating that he tried both higher and lower altitudes for smooth flight but the verdict from both ATC and other aircraft ahead was there was none to be found.

Landing was terrible as crosswinds at BHD were fierce. He made a good heavy landing and no go around was required - and for that I am thankful as the last place I wanted to go was back into that sky.

Worst flight I have had in years.