FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:09 pm
drewguy

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
1K here, usually travel on my own but traveling in about a week or so from SFO-BOS with a (non-elite) companion on the same reservation (no bags to check); both have seats in E+ now. Showing 2 F available. If I'm reading this thread correctly I'm assuming:

1) If I leave the res as is, if only 1 upgrade is available at the 96 hour mark and I'm at the top of the list, it will pass over me and go to the next "single" reservation
2) If I split the res now, my companion should still be able to keep the E+ seat unless a sweep (not very likely) or equipment swap occurs.
3) If I don't split the res now there is a very small chance that my companion will get upgraded with me sometime between T-96 and T-24 if I'm first on the list AND both of those seats become available for upgrades
4) If I do split the res now I can still add my companion to the standby upgrade list at the airport and they will be prioritized as if they were a 1K.

So I'm leaning towards splitting now (or at least before 4 days out) given the circumstances. Any reason why I shouldn't besides #3 above? Thanks.
2 key questions:

1) How willing are you to be separated? Split if totally willing.
2) What's showing in terms of R space? I opted recently to keep paired because R was showing 7. Of course, 6 seats got filled and R went to 1 at T-96. Guess 6 other GS or 1K had priority ahead of me. But I still think I made the right gamble because I wanted to keep companion (child) with me. (FWIW, flight got cancelled anyway)

Last edited by drewguy; Feb 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm