FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:39 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I have compained before and will again should I encounter any abnormalities. Nobody has ever gotten back in touch however.

Each time it's happened I've known relatively quickly that something's amiss and each time i wait until at the destination to do anything about it. One driver was livid but preferred to take a lesser amount of money than wait for the police. The other times the driver knew he was caught and graciously took a lesser amount of money rather than involve the police.

It is rather infrequent but it does happen... that was the point in my previous post.
One thing to consider is that not all of the taxi drivers are "stable". Just last year there was an article in the BKK Post about an American who worked for Caterpillar in Bangkok who disputed a taxi fare. It's was less than 50 baht, IIRC. The taxi driver took a machete to him. This was on Sukhumvit aound soi 50 or 60. Heck of a place to die.

Your life is worth more than 50 baht. If the driver got livid with me, I'd pay and depart the scene.