Old Feb 11, 14, 9:33 pm
Yappofloyd

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
I've had a handful of hot meters in the last few years some of which have been super-eggregious; once I hit 30km at the 1st (25 baht) toll coming from the airport which should be ~20km. And as you know the meter clocks a higher price for more distant destinations which makes soemthing like this even more dastardly for someone who's a novice.

A trip around town in the 5km range isn't where these guys make their bread and butter and I'm convinced that the ones who really push the envelope have the ability to control the meter to speed up or clock accurately.

But I agree that the more common problem is the refusal to take you or the stonefaced denial of turning the meter on to begin with.
There is a simple 3 step rule to avoid a meter used at a higher rate. I've posted this before on another thread some time ago.

1) Take a newer model taxi: Earlier in the last decade the DLT was considering introducing a higher night rate. Thus, many older taxis (pre 2006 models) have meter that can be set for this rate (even after the last fare increase a few years ago). Newer taxis have meters which only have the one rate.

Also, from a personal comfort point of view, in a city with nearly 90K taxis one is never short of options. Why would you rather take an older taxi with bad aircon, tatty seats and the smells of 1000s of sweaty bums compared to a newer taxi?

At the airport, the AOT has stated that they only allow taxis that are not older than 4 years (obviously BS) so you are well within your rights to ask for another taxi if the one allocated to you in the queue is older.

2) 555 Rule: at 5kms the meter fare should be 55 baht. It might be 57, it could be 53 but use that as a guide. If your fare is 70-85 baht something is wrong.
Note: this excludes stationary time charges of 1.5 baht per min.

3) One press to start the meter: it only take one press to activate the meter. The abovementioned rate in older meters can be activated by 2 or 3 presses depending on the meter model. If you are in an older taxi and the driver presses the button more than once, that is a warning. Just jump out and take another taxi.

Misuse of meters is taken seriously by the DLT and police if the matter is appropriately reported as it not turning on the meter. The ID reg of the taxi and driver are obviously required. Obviously that is rarely done and most people don't want to waste their time.

The DLT complaints line is 1584 and even with the heavy volume most complaints are eventually followed up;
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/loca...otline/page-2/

You have to judge the potential for threats or violence from the driver given the circumstances if you confront him over an obvious incorrect rate. Usually, a driver will back down if you do have an idea what the normal fare is. However, follow these 3 simple steps - which is really just the first rule - and you should never be put in that situation.