FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southern Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island, South Australia; reopens 12/23
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:59 pm
Larkin

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Southern Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island, South Australia; reopens 12/23

On our recent trip to Australia and NZ another highlight was Southern Ocean Lodge. We had high expectations going in given all the great reviews and we loved this lodge! It met and exceeded all of our expectations. We had an ocean retreat room which I highly recommend. It is a step up from the entry level Flinders suite. The main difference is a larger room and a bath tub that looks out on the ocean! There is also an ocean premium designed for a family or the remarkable suite which has a larger deck and a hot tub. We were originally disappointed we could not book a remarkable suite as we booked late, but as it turned out we were more than happy with our ocean retreat. With floor to ceiling windows looking at the gorgeous ocean, and sunny but moderate temperatures there was no need for a large deck and jacuzzi!
Our suite was large with a sitting room and up a couple of stairs a bedroom. All were designed to take advantage of the views. The bathroom was large with a separate shower and bathtub with a perfect ocean view. The room was really comfortable and a great place to read, relax and stare at the ocean.

This is an all inclusive lodge - all meals, drinks, and even the 3 main tours on the island are included. Your only extras are premium wines ( we found the house wines very good), spa, shopping, and add- on tours.
Kangaroo Island is beautiful with very interesting activities. We loved seeing the kualas, kangaroos, seals, etc. great wildlife and beautiful landscapes. The food was excellent - very fresh and local. Service very good as well. My only complaint was no room service breakfast. I can understand why as the rooms cascade down the hill from the main lodge. However, when paying very high prices if you don't want a big breakfast it is nice to have it served in the room while you are getting ready for the day. For those with an early morning flight they make an exception and nring something simple however.

The main lodge views are absolutely astounding and it was also a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the views. there is an open bar with all kinds of waters, soft drinks, wines, and liquor where you can help yourself throughout the day,or be served before, during, and after meals. it is a very nice relaxed, but luxury environment.

As I said the rooms cascade down the hill so one may want a suite close to the lodge if mobility or walking back and forth an issue. We were the fifth room from the lodge and it was quiet, private and great views. I will say you can hear noise as people walk up and down the hallway, but it did not really other us. We were mesmerized by the views and the very comfortable suite!
I highly recommend and would love to return!