FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:46 pm
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I tried the taxi queue at Suvarnabhumi on Monday.

No waiting in line. I spoke English. Nice taxi, polite driver.

Once in the car he asked me something and I just replied my hotel name in English. He then asked me a question twice in Thai. I pretended not to know what he was saying.

I noticed the meter was on. The price was zero. I asked about the meter and asked him to turn it on. All of this in English. We were driving, about to leave the curbside area of the terminal. I asked again, no response.

I opened my door and told him to stop the car. Grabbed my luggage out of the car, when he suddenly changed. "Ok , ok, meter!" But I had enough of this cowboy. I walked back to the queue, waited for a supervisor, filled out the white form and got a new car.

Bloody waste of time.
But I wonder, did he lose his place in line and all that waiting for no fare in the end? It would appear that you did screw him at least somewhat even though it was annoying at the very least for you.

And my POV is that losing nothing will not deter these cowboys from pulling the same crap over and over again.