FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:00 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I tried the taxi queue at Suvarnabhumi on Monday.

No waiting in line. I spoke English. Nice taxi, polite driver.

Once in the car he asked me something and I just replied my hotel name in English. He then asked me a question twice in Thai. I pretended not to know what he was saying.

I noticed the meter was on. The price was zero. I asked about the meter and asked him to turn it on. All of this in English. We were driving, about to leave the curbside area of the terminal. I asked again, no response.

I opened my door and told him to stop the car. Grabbed my luggage out of the car, when he suddenly changed. "Ok , ok, meter!" But I had enough of this cowboy. I walked back to the queue, waited for a supervisor, filled out the white form and got a new car.

Bloody waste of time.

On my return, the hotel confirmed Meter with the driver. But as soon as we pulled out, he asked how much I was going to pay him. He demanded 500THB. I told him to take me back to the hotel. We settled on 400, including the tollway.
Unfortunately not that uncommon to and from the airport. It's illegal, of course, but not exactly on the police's priority list.