FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:39 pm
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Here are two other examples buried in that thread:

Originally Posted by NLflyer26
Adding my data point...

My partner and I were booked SAT-IAH-LOS-JNB-CPT in J, except LOS-JNB was in Y. I called up today and rebooked SAT-IAH-IAD-JNB-CPT for the same departure date, all J. The rep initially asked for 60,000 additional miles for both of us, I pushed back and he consulted with a supervisor. Something like an hour later, I pay the change fee (no status) and slight difference in taxes. No extra miles!

FWIW, I knew exactly which flights I wanted, that they had two seats, and that I (maybe) should not be charged additional miles. I have no idea how a less informed traveler is supposed to navigate this system.

Originally Posted by dinosims
Was just able to price out the following change online:

SEA-NRT (NH I)
HND-BKK (NH X)
BKK-SYD (TG O)

to

SEA-NRT (NH I)
HND-BKK (NH I) - different flight, same date
BKK-SYD (TG O) - different flight, same date

There was no change in the amount of miles required, only charging me the change fee (and surprisingly since I wasn't changing cities, a refund of some taxes).
I have a proprietary interest in this because I have an upcoming itinerary BOS-FRA-BKK-HKG (LH J, LH F, TG F) and will be trying to move the LH J portion to LH F. There should be no change in the taxes except for foreign exchange, but later in the trip there is a SQ J segment and I'm hoping that won't cause huge problems with the pricing record.