FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE : Westin Aruba (Leaving Starwood February 27, 2014) [Master Thread]
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:54 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by HW75
You are correct that it is the "rule". But please keep in mind we were not given the option to change destinations, or choose a new venue due to the sale. We are absolutely stuck with whatever they give us. SPG will however keep the points and force us into a hotel we did not select or choose. I wish we could just change destinations. SPG should offer us a relocation in the region (St.Marteen, St.John, etc...) without charging any additional points, and cover the airfare change charge. None of us asked for this and we should not be punished because of it. Further here is is, deadline day, and it seems no one has received any notification. Unacceptable customer service, unacceptable public relations.
I was in your shoes a few yrs ago. Got lucky that I was 1 of the few that were reaccomdated at another Hotel (not *W). Part of the problem is SPG being able to find another hotel that will work with them. But many others simply got their pts refunded back to their accts.

Sorry but I disagree SPG is under no obligation to offer alternative flights, nor should they. The problem you will end up with is most likely they will find a hotel to work with but you get Zippo in the way of any benefits you would have had it been a *W hotel = no late checkouts, no free internet, no lounge access and no room upgrades etc etc, some folks would rather not go.

I would expect SPG to allow you to change to another Hotel of comparable value (same cat) but youd have to foot the extra expense in getting there, maybe fly to Aruba and then connect or pay for a change with your carrier and fly into wherever the new hotel will be.

Ive ran into this among many different chains and they all work the same way, if anything I found SPG to go further in trying to place everyone and are more open, but that doesnt mean they will be able to satisfy each and every party every time