FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:41 pm
kb1992
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow UA Award Codes

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I also hope that cricketer is right and I could see it being interpreted that way. It would essentially boil down to - "If it would have caused a recalculation of miles under the old award chart, it will cause a recalculation now". And that even covers where you change regions with the same number of miles required - that still would have caused a recalculation of miles, even if the number of miles that resulted from the calculation was the same number - so it causes a reprice.

SFOvacations earlier posted about award codes and that may be the key. The speculation would be that if the award code doesn't change, then the award doesn't reprice. Any change to region, overall cabin type or award type (standard vs saver and probably OW vs RT) causes the award code to change which triggers the reprice.

From a programming perspective it even makes sense. There is a lookup table with the award code and the number of miles required. If you change award codes (a whole new set has been developed for post 2/3 award apparently) the lookup table points to the new number. As long as the award code stays the same, the table continues to direct the software to the old number.
My thoughts:

UA uses various codes for award type, region, cabin etc.

WB76M
WF72
YB76
WB72

If the code stays the same, then changes are permitted. No recalculation.