FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:25 am
mgcsinc

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Where's the windfall for a customer? UA is actively charging more than it should in most cases. How is that in favor of the consumer?? If they say they are offering the cheapest fare and they are not that is hardly creating a windfall. Moreover, the cheaper fare is as a result of it pricing as a "normal" round-trip fare rather than end-on-end of multiple fares. It is backwards from what logic would suggest.

I would agree if the pricing were different for different flights. I get that. Charge me more if I want the more efficient flight by fewer/shorter connections. But if the exact same itinerary can have multiple different prices that's not at all reasonable. This is the airline screwing passengers.
Huh? UA is not charging more or less than it "should." The married-segments price might be less or more than the alternative on any given flight, but that's what UA is trying to charge, and that's the correct price. Anything else is a mistake. There's no "should" about it...