FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:05 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thegrailer
For all of my latest award trips, the UA rep has asked for my pin. Add that to the customer's MP account # and you have direct access. The award planner is "managing" the account. Whether UA cares or not is a different story??? Apparently not, but wait until we hear about the award planner who go someone else's MP account canceled .

Side question: What about purchased or earned via non-flying miles? If UA confiscates purchased miles is there a refund? What about miles earned through Chase CCs? I just don't know how that would work (I assume the account holder has a better case with purchased miles)
If miles are owned by the airline, when one purchases miles, exactly what is the property right being purchased? How can I purchase something (miles) from an airline, but the airline continues to own the miles? How do airlines commonly make the distinction that they can sell you something that you can't own?