FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - This week's weather waiver!
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:14 pm
PRWeezer

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Yeah! Let's impeach the Gov for this weather! Surely he could have stopped it, but instead chose to make the people suffer. Let's march on the Capitol right now! (Well maybe after putting on gloves). How dare our Gov't allow winter in ATL! -end sarcasm

Newsflash: It's winter. Even in the South. Sometimes (rarely) it even snows significantly... You may think that the answer is spending billions on equipment that might get used once every few years, however when you come back from the spirit world, you'll agree that that would be moronic at best.

Suck it up and enjoy the snow day(s). It'll be in the 50s on Friday.
The prevailing wisdom, at least among my personal peanut gallery, is they should have proactively cancelled schools, encouraged people to work from home, etc. "out of an abundance of caution," as even the forecasters couldn't pinpoint the impact. Instead, the storm hit earlier than expected & everybody rushed to get home all at once, creating gridlock. (cue 1982 snowmageddon)

Atlanta's last big storm in 2011 hit on a Sunday IIRC. Sure, the airport stood still & roads were largely impassible, but for the most part people were warned about the severity of the storm & were at home anyway because it was the weekend.

As for spending tax dollars on prevention...every time I drive to my hometown Savannah I see all those hurricane gates meant to block access to I-16 that were put in place after the last mandatory hurricane evacuation (1999, the storm, as is typical, missed SAV). They have never been used and I wonder if they're even functional at this point. So I agree that an over-correction on equipment isn't needed, but a reconsideration of shutting things down in advance is worth consideration.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Jan 28, 2014 at 6:23 pm