FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:06 am
pricesquire
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkar
This 75k card and situation is fascinating to me. The way it apparently hit the airwaves -- a single blogger alerting the points guy to a nondescript link that does not confirm the terms -- is completely inconsistent with how the card is being handled. Citi CS people all are very familiar with the terms of the offer, and they are apparently willing to give this card, and a bonus, to anyone with a pulse.

It almost makes me think that marketing is getting particularly savvy, and that citi knows exactly what it's doing and how we all behave with these mystery links -- it's letting the bloggosphere do its business in a way that gets the card out there in a large number of hands without completely cannibalizing the market of non-savvy consumers who might jump at this card with the 30k bonus by clicking on the link for club access on aa's web site.

I think citi is going to war with barclays over AA. If you're on the fence about the barclays US card, I would hold your powder and not jump too early. I think you're going to see barclays getting very aggressive on that card as they start to run out of time to sign up new business.
Normally, I'd agree but:

1) This thread had the offer hours before TPG.

2) Citi apps never (at least in my experience) show the bonus (it's always an FT leap-of-faith).

I agree that:

1) Citi marketing is top-tier.

2) It's odd how many approvals they're giving out for this card

3) They're definitely ramping up their game against Amex (and even Barclays)