Old Jan 23, 14, 3:42 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Update on booking Malaysia - MH award tickets

You can still use DL miles for low award tickets on Malaysia (code MH) through April 30. They can be flown later, for any flights that are on the schedule and can be booked before the cutoff. I suspect that after April 30 the only changes to MH segments that DL will be able to do will be to cancel the ticket (based on what happened at the end of DL's bilateral partnership with SQ).

Anyway, I booked a "last chance" ticket today and this is what I learned. Availability isn't too bad for business class (didn't try for coach and IFC isn't permitted with DL miles for the few aircraft that offer IFC).

I used EF to search. EF does not show MH award space, but it does show upgrade inventory (with MH miles), which is I for upgrades into business class and A for upgrades into IFC, where the latter is irrelevant for us. I found flights with one or two I class seats available. (IIRC I saw up to four for some flights I couldn't use, but they might have been the 9XXX codeshares operated by AA that of course we cannot book as DL awards, although these were not designated as AA codeshares on EF, so watch out for the many funky looking flight numbers on MH's schedule.)

I guessed that if an I seat was available, so also would there be a U seat (low business class availability for DL miles) on the same flight, which was what I wanted. I gave an excellent Chisholm DM agent the exact flight numbers and dates.

The DL agent (I was lucky) knew instantly to look for U space and do a long sell. There was some issue with the flight that stops in NRT between LAX and KUL (MH 92 eastbound and MH 93 westbound) which apparently required that the segments be booked separately and also possibly requested as different segments for the long sell.

It became very important to start with a brand new PNR when building the trip. Do not book any DL award flights first, even to reserve low space for yourself. MH apparently won't respond positively to the long sell request if there are any other flight using other carriers already on the PNR.

Overall it was easier than I had anticipated. My "trick" of searching for upgrade I space on EF worked beautifully and when my seats were confirmed, EF immediately decreased the I class inventory by one.

Fees were about $575 for the TPAC RT. I suspect I won't earn any MQDs on this big YR/YQ.